Monday, September 14, 2015

Thai Tea-Party

From Dani:

Last weekend, Gabe and Jesse Larsen (our short-term roommate/new long-term friend!) took the older boys on a "boys-only" adventure.  I'm not entirely sure what all it comprised of, but I know it was about 12 hours long, it involved at least 2 meals, an arcade, and a movie.  It sounded like they all had fun!

Meanwhile, since I had most of a day to myself, I decided to host the little girls (Becky, Joy, Hannah, Cadia, Blessing, and Tamar) for a tea-party at my house.  I invited them via a scroll addressed to the girls, with the option to dress in their favorite dressy outfit and come for tea at 3pm.

Once Gabe and Jesse left at 11, I took the scooter to the town about 3 miles away and made several stops:  first at the grocery store for cookies and tea-appropriate snacks, and then over to the open-air market where I found some ADORABLE polka-dot tea-and-saucer sets (I bought 7!), a teapot, and fresh flowers.  I scootered all my party-prep back home - stopping at the school to grab a pack of crayons and copy off a bunch of color-pages for after-tea entertainment - and got to work.  Since we only have 2 chairs, and a lot of tile, I decided the safest route was to set up a picnic-style tea on our living room floor - less distance for dropped ceramics, and plenty of space for all of us.  I dressed in my prettiest dress, and welcomed the girls when they arrived en masse at 2:55pm.

They helped me finish doing my hair, pick out my necklace and earrings, and we all got a generous squirt or two of my favorite perfume.  While we were donning appropriate scents, we saw one of the 3rd grade boys lurking outside the house, so we invited him in to join us for tea as well.

Tea was served, along with coconut milk as a creamer and as much sugar as I had available in the house.  Needless to say, tea was a hit!  ALL of the cookies and sugar and tea and cream got consumed.  And then we commenced coloring.  And then we watched some Barbie short videos on YouTube.  And it rained, so the girls were thrilled that they had to "stay" at Teacher Dani's house.  AND the plans were made for (at an undefined time in the future) the little girls to come have a sleepover at the house.

Below are some pictures of the day:

Sweet Joy

Impish Luke

Tea is served

Spunky Tamar

Resourceful Hannah loved the iPod!

Becky, Hannah, and Cadia

The Coloring Corner!
Overall, we had SO MUCH FUN doing girl things (Luke left not too long after he finished his tea :)). These precious girls are just a huge blessing to us.  We are really enjoying getting to spend time with them and get to know their personalities.  I think tea parties are going to have to be a regular part of our time here!


No comments:

Post a Comment